Cellulite: What Is It Really, and How Do I Get Rid of It?
Contrary to popular belief, cellulite is not fat. Though for many, this only adds to the frustration. If cellulite were fat, we’d see a direct correlation between weight loss and the reduction of cellulite, but that often is not the case. Below, we break down what cellulite really is, and effective ways to get rid of it.
What is Cellulite?
Cellulite refers to the puckered appearance of skin when fatty tissue pushes through the fibrous bands that connect skin to muscle. It’s commonly found on thighs, hips, buttocks, abdomen, and even the upper arm area in women. Despite the sense that you’re alone in this, the majority of all women have cellulite — up to a staggering 90% of women!
While little is known about the exact cause of cellulite, it’s key to remember that it’s perfectly natural and harmless. Your genetics play a big role in your skin structure and texture, so if your mom, aunts, and grandmothers complained about cellulite, there’s a good chance you will see it, too.
Other triggers include hormonal factors, weight, and overall muscle tone. Weight gain can make cellulite more noticeable, but know that even very fit individuals can have cellulite. (This is where those genetics take precedence again.)
Our age also plays a role here. In our mid-to-late 20s, our collagen production begins to decrease. Collagen is a protein in your body that provides your skin with its beloved strength and elasticity. When our bodies produce less collagen, it becomes easier for fat cells to push through the connective tissues, producing cellulite.
One lesser known cause is poor circulation. When your circulation is poor, it sets off a snowball effect of problems: blood flow decreases, your body’s essential nutrients are reduced, and your skin’s connective tissues may be weakened. Hence, cellulite.
How Do I Get Rid of It?
Now, onto the part you came here for! While a whole slew of non-approved lotions, creams, and oils are marketed to vanish your cellulite, here at Mint & Needle, we believe in medically-proven treatments and science-backed solutions to help you see real results.
Healthy Foods: A healthy diet is often the remedy for most ailments, so it might not come as a surprise that it can have a positive effect on cellulite, too.
- To encourage the national production of collagen, turn to foods that are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- To improve your blood circulation, add health fats (nuts, seeds, oily fish) to your diet.
- Most importantly, limit your salt intake, as a high-sodium diet causes fluid retention, making cellulite more visible.
Working Out: As mentioned, while weight is not always the underlying factor, workouts can help reduce cellulite in numerous ways.
- Since cellulite is most prevalent on the thigh and buttocks area, performing lower body strength training (lunges, squats, stair-steps), can help strengthen muscle in those areas (making it harder for fat tissues to push through).
- Cardio vascular exercises (walking, running, swimming) can help improve your blood circulation.
Medically-Proven Treatments: When natural remedies fail to give you the drastic results you’re looking for, there are affordable, alternative treatments available to you.
- Radiesse and Sculptra: This treatment option uses medical-grade biostimulator injections — also known as fillers — such as Radiesse and Sculptra. Biostimulator injections are an effective option to reduce the appearance of cellulite dimpling on the posterior area. For more information on what else Mint & Needle’s “non-surgical butt lift” can target, click here for FAQ.
- Best candidates for these cellulite services include: females between the ages of 21 and 50, who live an active lifestyle.
Book an appointment or consultation in our Middletown, DE office to determine which treatment is the best fit.And if you’re looking for immediate results, consider investing in a good sunless self-tanner. Self-tanners can’t actually reduce cellulite, but by evening out your skin tone and disguising that dimpling, it can drastically improve its appearance in the short term!